A Complete Guide To Overnight Hair Oil Treatment
There are various treatments you can give your hair to keep it healthy. Some of these treatments are rooted in tradition, and women all around the world continue to use them. One of these treatments is the overnight hair oil treatment.
Regularly, our hair loses nutrients like vitamins and minerals due to washing, frequent styling, cold and hot temperatures amidst other factors. The hair oil treatment augments this loss and an overnight treatment makes it even better. In ancient times, Egyptian women would pour fat and oils derived from animals onto their hair and cover it up with a cloth overnight to keep their hair healthy and strong. As you will see in this guide, overnight hair oil treatment helps to ensure that oil nutrients are fully absorbed by the hair and scalp.
Is Overnight Oiling Good for Your Hair?
Overnight oiling is good for your hair. It is recommended so that the oils can thoroughly penetrate deep into your scalp. You get maximum benefits from doing it. However, you don’t just carry out overnight hair oil treatment without expert advice because some oil ingredients can make your hair heavier and expose it to damages so, keeping these oils longer on your hair especially overnight isn’t advised. Essentially, overnight hair oil treatment depends on the condition of your hair, your hair type, the kind of oil you use, and scalp condition.
8 Benefits of Oil Treatment
- Oiling your hair shields it from wear and tear.
- It keeps your hair from falling off or shedding in large quantities.
- Hair oiling helps to get rid of dandruff and prevents reappearance.
- Oiling boosts hair growth.
- Due to harsh chemicals in shampoos and conditioners, hair loses its nutrients. Frequent oiling serves as a nutritional supplement.
- Oiling polishes dry hair, especially if it is regularly done overnight.
- When the scalp is well nourished with essential oils, it prevents premature greying.
- This might surprise you, but hair oiling is also a great head massage technique for stress relief.
Factors That Determine Whether You Should Do Overnight Hair Oil Treatment or Not
As a general rule, everyone should use overnight hair oil treatment. Overnight hair oil benefits are vast depending on why you are doing it. Inarguably, it helps you to get the maximum benefit of oiling your hair. However, the kind of oil you will use depends on what your hair needs. Let’s take a look at the factors that determine whether you should do overnight oiling or not below:
- The Kind of Oil
Some oils are light in texture while some are heavy. These determine the level of penetration that happens and how soon it happens. Here are the common types of hair oil for an overnight hair oil treatment:
Virgin olive oil
Olive oil is light, rich in vitamin E and fatty acids. Thus, it gets absorbed into the scalp fast and quickly moisturizes the hair. Consequently, you don’t have to keep the oil overnight especially if you don’t have dry, long, thick hair. Sallys Naturals Strengthening Hair Growth Oil is a suitable product you should check out.
This oil is usually heavy in texture. This means it takes a little longer to penetrate the scalp. As a result, it requires overnight oiling. Coconut oil is rich in omega-3, fatty acids, and Vitamin E. Sally Naturals Ayurvedic Hair & Scalp Serum is formulated with coconut oil to boost your hair’s health.
Almond oil is light weighted. If you have thin hair, this oil supplement has Vitamins B, K, and E to increase hair growth and strengthen strands. However, as it’s light-weighted, you don’t have to use it for overnight oiling. When you use almond oil, you can wrap your head for one or two hours before rinsing. Mielle's Mint Almond Oil is the natural lightweight formula that gives you fast benefits from hair oil treatment.
This oil is slightly heavy. While it is rich in vitamin B1, calcium, copper, phosphorus, iron, magnesium, manganese, and zinc, it provides deep conditioning and eradicates dandruff. This is the kind of hair oil you can carry overnight. Check out Uncle Jimmy's Curl-Kicker for the perfect sesame oil treatment for your hair. It’s not just for curls, it works for all hair types.
- Hair Texture
Different hair textures call for different treatments. This singular reason determines the kind of hair oil treatment you should choose. Below, we’ll consider different hair types and the type of oil you should consider for an overnight hair oil treatment.
- Thin Hair: This type of hair needs nutrients to protect and enhance its growth while preventing hair loss. For overnight oiling, hair oil made from rosemary is recommended to nourish tissues and keep the hair growing. Some hair oils that are perfect for thin hair include: Alikay Naturals Hair Growth Oil and Mielle Organics Rosemary Mint Scalp & Hair Strengthening Oil
- Coarse Hair: Coarse hair needs to be softened and strengthened to prevent any damage. Rich in amino acids and vitamins A, D, and E, avocado oil is recommended for overnight oiling. The Up North Naturals 8 Oil Blend and Alikay Naturals Blended Hot Oil Treatment are perfect for coarse hair.
- Thick Hair: Thick hairs need more hydration and straightening as those are the common problems people with thick hair deal with. Hemp seed oil is highly recommended for overnight oiling. Sallys Naturals Hair Growth Oil comes handy for thick hair. It has been formulated to hydrate and deliver vitamins and fatty acids to your hair, and nourish your hair strands.
Meanwhile, if you are confused about your hair texture, or you probably have a hair texture that combines the characteristics of various hair types, argan oil is recommended for your overnight oiling. While it is rare and expensive, argan oil is compatible with all hair types. It is made up of 80% unsaturated fatty acids, and rich in Vitamin E. Among other things, this oil beats dandruff and dry scalp, repairs hair damage, boosts hair growth, enhances hair sheen, and protects your hair from breaking.
- Scalp Condition
Do you have a dry scalp? If yes, then you’d probably have to deal with dandruff and itchy scalp than the person with an oily scalp. In this case, you can apply overnight hair oil treatment to a dry scalp. But for an oily scalp, avoid keeping the oil overnight.
How To Carry Out Overnight Hair Oil Treatment (Step-by-Step Guide)
- Pick the oil that befits your hair and scalp.
- At bedtime, divide your hair into sections.
- Apply oil as much as needed on your scalp and massage using your fingertips.
- Use a wide-toothed comb or brush to distribute the oil through your hair.
- Cover your hair with a silk bonnet, scarf.
- Get yourself a good night's sleep.
- In the morning, rinse your hair with a natural, chemical-free shampoo.
- Repeat the overnight oiling based on expert recommendation and your hair needs
How Often Should You Carry Out Overnight Hair Oil Treatment?
Hairstylists and dermatologists will usually recommend overnight oiling based on hair type.
Dry hair: You may want to carry out overnight oiling once or twice a week if you have dry hair.
Oily hair: If your hair is oily, you have to limit how often you do overnight hair oil treatment. The safest approach is once every two weeks.
Mind you, if you have been following the frequency above based on your hair type but you aren’t getting the benefits of overnight hair treatment, you may be missing out on the suitable oil treatment for your hair. In this case, it’s recommended that you consult a hair expert.
Bottom line, overnight hair oil treatment is an age-long healthy hair treatment. Hair oiling helps to prevent and protect your hair from damages, especially those caused by cruel chemical compositions usually found in conditioners, shampoos, etc. The point of overnight oiling is to ensure you get maximum benefits from the oil. However, the type of oil you use depends on your hair type and needs. This requires that you know your hair type and pick the type of oil it needs.
Have you had an overnight hair oil treatment session this week? How did it make your hair feel and look? Let us know in the comment section. Visit our store for various hair care treatments that cater to your curls and kinks in the best way.